Saturday 3 February 2018

February is purple!

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge entails using scraps of a given colour for one month, and then moving on to another colour. Around the first of the month Angela gives a new colour. Last month it was blue, and this month we've moved on to purple.

The February block in the Squared Away sampler was just released this morning so this week I used purple in two block-of-the-week projects.

Firstly in the Dutch Modern Quilt Guild's sampler:


The final deadline for sharing progress on this project is tomorrow, and there are already finished quilts posted on Instagram #dutchmqgmaakteenblokjeperweek . Needless to say mine is not among them; I still have a few more blocks to make. I will, however, be able to show how the layout will be, even though it is incomplete.

Secondly, I used purple in my block in an open online project: "The Year of Scrappy Triangles" hosted by Leila. The project started in October, so I'm joining really late; this week saw the release of block 17, and I made block number 1!
Year of Scrappy Triangles block 1
The great thing about this is that all the triangles are foundation pieced. What! foundation-pieced!!! I dislike (to put it mildly) foundation piecing. I've had such bad experiences with foundation-piecing in the past (like using far too much fabric; wasting more than actually went into the piece) that I decided I needed regular practice. While surfing the Internet a couple of days ago I came across this project and read Leila's excellent tutorial, which I recognised as giving exactly the support I needed. This first block went together very smoothly with no nasty surprises. That is quite a boost!

I recommend this tutorial to anyone who finds foundation-piecing problematic and frustrating, and what better way to get the necessary practice than to make (at least) one FPP block a week?

I'm linking to 
SoScrappy
Click on the button to visit Soscrappy 
and see more lovely scrappiness.

Happy sewing

Marly.

13 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your purple and white plus blocks! Thanks for the link to the paper piecing tutorial - I often y ave the same challenges you mentioned when doing paper piecing!

Sarah said...

Well I like your scrappy block number 1! Only another 16 to catch up! Lol

Ellen said...

I love your blocks! Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the paper piecing tutorial! :)

Ivani said...

Pretty blocks Marly.

Edith said...

I really like those little blocks for the Dutch Modern Quilt Guild sampler, now nice.

Cathy said...

Those improv blocks look like a lot of fun.

I'll have to go read the tutorial because I have had a heck of a time with a lot of the blocks I've tried.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your paper pieced block, I thought this would be a great scrap project - it's just the thought of tearing out all those papers which bugs me! I might give it a try though.

scraphappy said...

Mastering paper piecing sounds like a great goal. Nice block to start, not too complex. Best of luck with the process.

Vireya said...

I quite like paper-foundation piecing. I had a look at that tutorial, and that is pretty much how I do it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Pretty PURPLE blocks!!

Sandy Panagos said...

So, you found the secret to foundation piecing, huh? Good for you! I am not a purple fan, but I really like your blocks!

Kate said...

You got a great start on the February scrappy blocks. Love those purples.

Julie in GA said...

Great purple blocks! Thanks for the info on the foundation-pieced triangles. I just saved all the block patterns and am considering making it as another RSC project for this year.